Thursday, January 27, 2011

Allusion Graphic and Poem FINAL.


It is simply illogical.

This world I’m in,

It’s strange

It’s new

It’s changing


Curiosity and determination

compel me to venture forward


Steps get awkward

I feel clumsy

How is it possible to feel so out of place?


Let me out of this

‘dream-world’

I want to escape.


With a stroke of luck

I’ve found a way to fit in

(although it must have been something I ate)

It works too well,

now the world is big around me

as if I were shrinking

People intimidate

Problems complicate


Yet,

When I’m small

I see simplicity.

doors close,

but another just appears

getting back on my feet,

colors change

saturated to vivid


On second thought,

I wouldn’t mind going down that rabbit hole again

1 comment:

  1. Reflection

    I chose to relate my allusion poem to the character Alice from “Alice in Wonderland”, because her adventure emotionally describes feelings in relation to personal experience. In Wonderland, viewed the land from different perspectives- whether being giant or miniscule. Choosing a half Disney, half famous novel character varied far off the track instead of just choosing a Greek or Roman god as my allusion.
    My poetry composition process began with the bubble mind map. I started by listing the attributes Alice was most known for, then relating those to myself. Some of the poetic techniques I used to write this poem were allusion (duh.) and metaphors. I compared the difference sizes Alice grew, to feeling awkward (while being big) and feeling intimidation and loneliness (as a result of being tiny). I made sure my poem was an effective allusion by phrasing things that were associated with Alice (eg. growing to big, shrinking too small, having weird creature friends). Although, it was put in a way that would challenge the reader to infer the person by all the context clues.
    My graphic displays more of the metaphoric aspect of the poem. It is not necessarily based on how I feel everyday, but can relate to many people in different parts of their life. On the left, it shows me as awkwardly huge (in comparison to the other pictures, including the house at the bottom). Exactly in the middle is showing the “pressures” of fitting in. Many people feel that they need to, or are forced to change just to fit into society. The right side shows another feeling of not fitting in: loneliness and not being acknowledged. Although, as the small door represents, there are always opportunities that are waiting to be found, even to those who aren’t always “out there” in society.
    This assignment really helped me to learn the concept of allusions because it forced me to apply my textbook-definition-understanding of an allusion into writing a real poem representing myself. I always felt these feelings, but before this assignment there was never anyway I was able to put them into words. While reading everyone else’s poems, I learned more about their thoughts on themselves-- reflecting their personalities.

    ReplyDelete