Friday, August 28, 2009

Journal #5: What makes a Menemac Student?

Through the first month of being in this program, I have learned what it means to actually be considered a true Menemac student. When I started the first few days as a freshman, I was nervous to come to school, but as I was introduced to my class and teachers, I started to realize that high school might not be as bad as I made it out to be (and I've survived high school for nearly half a quarter already! Yay). While in the classes and talking to other current Menemac students, I have noticed that most of them have qualities such as creativity, respect, and communication skills, which have gotten them in to this program.

Creativity is being original and expressive in not only work, but in other things such as conversations or everyday tasks. In my Menemac media class we were recently assigned to make a Campus Story Video. My group brainstormed and threw out ideas, so we could pick the best ones to help make our story interesting, while having a point to it. Creativity, like effort, shows in work. Being creative to me is taking looks from different angles (literally and figuratively); also being inspiring and motivating is important to completing any project.

This trait has been taught to me even before I had started Pre-school. Respect. Respect your family. Respect your belongings. Respect others. Respect yourself. I have long learned that if you want someone to treat you nicely and respect you, all you have to do is respect them back as well. In Menemac this is how you will get somewhere (even anywhere) when you work with other people, or in teams.

Everyone communicates in one way or another. They may be different, or they may be similar; some are more effective than others. When I said earlier that a Menemac students have communication skill qualities, I forgot to mention that the skill needs to be effective, in order for others to understand. Communication lets people convey messages to eachother, and without it, nothing would be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment