Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Welcoming the New Year (Draft 1)

New Year's celebration is a time for my family to get together and catch up on what's been happening in each other's lives. Its a time to jabber to eachother while chowing down from the various home-made foods. All moms and auntys kept themselves busy by going on about what has happened in work last month, or how all their kids are doing in school. Meanwhile, the uncles and cousins, myself included, are itching for nine o'clock to roll around. The amazing display of neon-colored fireworks are nearly the best part of welcoming in the new year. So, you may be thinking, "What is her favorite part of new years?"

When the clock strikes midnight you would hear "Happy New Year!" constantly from everyone, followed by many smothering hugs. But that isn't the best part. As everyone is congratulating the newly arrived year, a final, but long-lasting roar of the remaining fireworks grows louder and louder, until all you can do is run to the window and watch with awe, because you can't hear yourself speak any longer. But that isn't the best part either. After the popping and cracking of the fireworks have burned down to a small glow, the inside of the house is buzzing with excitement. My Aunty Mingie sets many sweets on the kitchen counter. A steady stream of people go up to that counter to indulge in the sugary treats. When I get up there, I look around at all the different desserts. In the middle of all of them, there are several eight inch wide circular tin filled four inched deep with brown-sugar colored creamy-like, sticky cake; my favorite food inside. This is the best part of new years. Not only is it a great dessert, it also signifies the end of the past year, and the beginning of the new.

"In sticking with the Chinese tradition, my mother told us we are not to eat the gao until after Chinese New Year (according to the lunar calendar). But now we are so anxious to eat it that we don't wait," said my Aunty Mingie.

Just before the new year, Aunty Mingie makes the traditional gao by steaming the mixture of mochiko flour, brown sugar, oil, and water for at least six hours. Every two to three hours, she would have to check on the water quantity. Immediately after the steamed gao is finished, a hoong jow (red date) and sesame seeds are put into the gao. This must be done when the gao is warm, or else it will not stick.

Aunty Mingie remembers when she first started making traditional gao for her family.

"My mom used to make gao ever Chinese New Year, and after she died in 1972, my dad and I volunteered to cook it for the family. A couple of days before Chinese New Year, I took all the ingredients out and I waited for him to start. I later found out that he was waiting for me to start. We both said we thought the other person knew what to do. As the years went by, we got better because of our first cooking experience."

As for me, I haven't been able to take part in helping to steam and prepare the traditional gao yet. I hope I will be able to soon, maybe to welcome in the year 2010 perhaps. Aunty Mingie is not the only person in my family that cooks this dish, however, my dad knows how to make the dish from an easier, yet not traditional, microwave recipe- handed down from my mom's mom. I have helped my dad in making this, but I think it will bring me to understand my full Chinese heritage more to participate in the original way to prepare gao, making my New Year's celebration even sweeter.

3 comments:

  1. I really ike your essay.

    Ideas: your ideas are very clear and how you chose to explain about the gao and the importance of it. For example you were mentioning how you are only supose to eat it at a certain time and that jus goes to show how important it is.

    Organization: I think the way you choose to organize your essay and give all of the quotes from your reletaves and explain how the gao is made and how hard it can be to make it

    Voice: I can definatley tell this is your paper and I know you were there when all of this happened and you experienced this yourself because of details you put into your essay. For example, after the popping and cracking of the fireworks have burned down to a small glow, the inside of the house is buzzing with excitement.

    Word Choice: I like certain words you used in the essay and the way you used them like smothering hugs you can really get a menal picture of people hugging.

    overall I think your essay was really good and I cant decide on anything that you need to change so good job! :)

    Love,
    Kiyo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideas: I thought your ideas were good. You could have used more sensory details to explain the dish to show rather than tell the reader what you are talking about. People who do not know what gao is may not be able to picture what it looks like.

    Organization: I liked the way that you organized the essay. It was easy to follow and I liked the way you included quotes so that you could really feel how the dish is related to tradition and culture.

    Voice: I could tell that this was you, but I'm not sure if people that don't know you as well as I do would be able to tell. Some parts of the essay sounds like a research paper, but I could still hear the voice.

    Word Choice: I liked the word choice. The adjectives helped to show not tell the reader what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Korie,

    *chuckle* I guess it was worth waiting to get your peer commentary. Both Kiyo and Kai did an excellent and thorough job providing feedback on your essay.

    Like them, I enjoyed the essay. I thought the organization was especially skillful, starting with an actual New Year's celebration, weaving in the interview with your Auntie, along with her memories of making gao, and ending with your hope for the future. I also liked the way you built up the suspense, sharing all the things you like about New Years, up until the best thing. I recommend, however, that you do it without using the second person ("you") and the rhetorial questions ("So what's the best part...")
    Both your commentators gave specific examples from your essay.
    I also agree with Kai's comment about a little more detail being needed to describe the actual dish (perhaps shape, size, color?)
    All in all, good job!
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete