Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Window War

It’s no fun to get sick. It seems as if everyone around you is affected somehow, either spending time to take care of you- or staying away trying not to catch what ever you came down with. What if this sickness would never go away?

Alzheimer’s disease affects a person’s brain. It is a common form of dementia that cannot be cured, although there are several drugs that will help to slow down the symptoms. I’ve remembered seeing commercials on TV: “This medication will help to slow down Alzheimer’s! Alzheimer’s isn’t waiting, neither should you, act today!” To me those ads made no sense, so of course I didn’t pay much attention. It had not much relevance to me, until I started to see a difference of behavior in my Popo.

My room is my querencia, a place I can be myself. It was a little taste of freedom, the first step of independence- after moving out of a room that I shared with my younger brother. Because my family lives in Hawaii, it can become fairly hot and humid. We are the type of family who believes in using the “Hawaiian Air Conditioner” (also known as the local breeze). So, as I’m working in my room, usually my Popo will come in.

“Korie, close your windows. You don’t want other people looking in on you. Plus it’s breezy now. Close them up.”

“Alright Popo...”

Before this is how she used to do it, but more recently she’s been climbing on my bed to shut them herself. I don’t mind really, because I usually have a fan going in my room to keep me cool. Normally, a while after my Popo leaves, my dad comes in.

“How many times have I told you to keep your windows open? It’s hot in here, and windows were made to let the cool air in!”

“Uh huh. Yeah, okay sure dad. Thanks.”

My dad as well, has started to open the windows on his own. I haven’t minded this either. I just do my work, leaving them open and close the windows as they pleased. Although within the past six months, the back and forth of the windows have became more frequent. While in my room, I’ll get “visits” from Popo and dad every 15 minutes, having one person check what the other did last to my windows. Back and forth, back and forth, like a kid on a swing set. Dad has often speaks his mind to Popo constantly reminding her to leave the windows alone. This situation hasn’t been the only difference in behavior we’ve seen in her. Little things that add up, like putting away dirty dishes to various places in our kitchen. They are harmless actions, yet they cause us to spend more time retracing our steps to correct them.

Living with my Popo has really taught me a thing or two. I have realized that I am not the one only who has to put up with most of the behaviors of my Popo. Even more than I recognize, my parents are the ones to sternly remind her on what not to do. Only recently have I realized that my Goong Goong has to live and watch over Popo almost every second of the day. Having to live with Popo, as one of her grandchildren is inspirational to me. I know that it is a lot of work for Goong Goong to make sure Popo is safe, although he has not yet admitted that Popo has Alzheimer’s disease. I can relate to his frustration and impatience because I have felt the feeling before. I love living with my Popo and my Goong Goong, even if it means adjusting my lifestyle a little differently, to make my Goong Goong's job of taking care of us easier.


Notes:

Popo---- Grandma

Goong Goong---- Grandpa

3 comments:

  1. ALOHA KORIE!!! Okay let me start commenting… I’ll start with the grammar first since you only have small grammar issues. Then I’ll go into the 4 traits.

    ~Grammar Issues~

    Paragraph #1
    “or staying away trying not to catch what ever you came down with….” “Whatever” is one word.

    Paragraph 2:
    ~ALL GOOD :)~

    Paragraph 3:
    Personally, I think that “My room is my querencia, a place I can be myself. It was a little taste of freedom, the first step of independence- after moving out of a room that I shared with my younger brother.” is unnecessary, It just pulls the reader away from the focus of the essay.

    Paragraph 4:
    ~ALL GOOD :)~

    Paragraph 5:
    “Little things that add up, like putting away dirty dishes to various places in our kitchen.” I think taking the “that” in “things that add up” will make the sentence flow better.

    Paragraph 6:

    “Even more than I recognize, my parents are the ones to sternly remind her on what not to do ….” To me, this sentence bothers me. It just doesn’t sound right. You can try rewording it by stating “More often, I have begun noticing my parents sternly reminding her on what not to do.” Or something along those lines.

    “I love living with my Popo and my Goong Goong, even if it means adjusting my lifestyle a little differently, to make my Goong Goong's job of taking care of us easier.” The second comma is not needed in this sentence.

    You have very creative ideas and I like the way you made your essay into a narrative. You show not tell about the theme. Just by reading this essay, I can tell that your essay is about empathy and how you relate to your Goong Goong. Your paper flows smoothly from a grasping introduction about Alzheimer and then going into your personal experience. I can tell you put yourself into this essay.You have very few errors that can be fixed. Overall good word choice.
    ~Your paper is very moving and I am sorry about your Popo.~

    ------------ Personally I have no suggestions besides fixing a few grammar issues here and there. I think that you have written a VERY good essay and was very detailed about a specific incident in which you’ve faced with your Popo. No added detail needed. I also think you conducted the meaning of the word “empathy” fairly well without mentioning the word “empathy”. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. paragraph 1 :
    Your intro is good but i have two suggestions.
    I think you should rephrase this sentence to make it a little bit clearer
    "staying away trying not to catch what ever you came down with."
    because at first i couldn't understand what you were saying, I had to reread to understand.
    Also, "whatever" is one word.

    Paragraph 2:
    Your paragraph 2 is pretty good. I like your idea of using the Alzheimer's TV commercial to compare and realize whats happing to your PoPo.

    Paragraph 3:
    This paragraph is good also, but you have some grammatical errors. Such as : (My room is my querencia, a place I can be myself.)
    Shouldn't it be "My room is my querencia, a place where I can be myself. " Also, in this sentence, you shouldn't start your sentence with the word BECAUSE. (Because my family lives in Hawaii, it can become fairly hot and humid.)

    Paragraph 4:
    Nothing is wrong here it's all good.

    Paragraph 5:
    You have more grammatical errors (My dad as well, has started to open the windows on his own. I haven’t minded this either.) The second sentence should be " I did not mind this either. "
    In this sentences (I just do my work, leaving them open and close the windows as they pleased.) it should be "As i do my work, i leave the windows open and close as they pleased."
    In this sentence (Dad has often speaks his mind to Popo constantly reminding her to leave the windows alone.) it should be " Dad often spoke his mind to popo constantly reminding her to leave the windows alone."

    Paragraph 6:
    you have more grammatical errors.
    In this sentence (I have realized that I am not the one only who has to put up with most of the behaviors of my Popo.) Shouldn't it be "I have realized that I am not the only one who has to put up with most of the behaviors of my Popo."
    __________________________________
    Overall your essay is pretty good. You only have small grammar problems which can be fixed. Your ideas in this essay is good, i like how you use this simile "Back and forth, back and forth, like a kid on a swing set." I can tell that your paper is about empathy because it has a good flow to it, making it easy to understand. GOOD JOB ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Korie,

    Great topic for an essay, and a difficult situation that more families are experiencing. Very strong introduction, progressing from the idea of being sick to the idea of a sickness that "would never go away."

    For your revision, I would recommend including more details about your popo's behavior and the responses of your family. Or perhaps some details that show your Popo before she got Alzheimers.

    I'd also like to see a little more of Goong Goong. It seems that he is affected the most by your Popo's condition, but there's more "telling" than "showing" about his actions.

    (And I agree with your teammates about leaving out the detail about "querencia," instead, show more of the "war")

    Let me know if you have questions.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete